Logo

I keep on pumping but the ball won't get hard 1979 90hp

Alex599

Hi guys,

I have a 1979 in line 6 90HP Merc. I just bought it; it works great exept for starting. I pump the ball at least 50 times and it's impossible to get it firm. I can hear the gas flow. When I go to start it, it takes forever. I figure both problems are related. I checked from the tank to the engine, there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

Re: I keep on pumping but the ball won't get hard

Ok, I connected a small day tank to the line. When I prime the ball, all I see is fuel going up and down as I prime the ball. Although, when I disconnected it and tested it it seemed to work fine. Should I try and replace it anyways?

I like how I post a question and in the mean time find the answers. So I took off the cowling and see that when I prime the ball, fuel drips out of the middle carb. So as I understand it, the needle might not be seating properly? Is rebuilding a carb something a "moderately mechanically inclined" person could do? Should I do all three while I'm at it? Any idea on cost?

Thanks guys!

Yes sounds like the needle valve in the carb is not seating.look like you will at least have to pull that carb and clean it,I persomally would do all of them,But your choice.when you have the needle valve out,look at it and make sure it not worn,should look like a perfect upside down V,if theres any grove in that you will have to change it.Hope it works out for ya,let us know .GOOD LUCK.

Thanks Vane,

Any idea where I can find some sort of tutorial? I don't want to just start pulling every screw I see...

Go here http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Service%20Manual%20PDFs/TwoStroke/817643r1/3a.pdf This will walk you through it.hope that works for ya.also if when you get done and if the ball still doesn't get hard check your fuel pump ,theirs a diapham in there if it has a hole in it that could be it.hopefully after you clean the bowl and needle valve it will do it for ya.good luck.

Last edited:

It would also be a good idea to change ALL your fuel hoses inside the cover to modern hose that is ethanol-resistant. The older hoses will swell and fall apart inside- giving your carbs fits...

Wow, thanks Vane. Very detailed. Is the manual the same for the in line 6 90HP?

To be honest I think that link is better.I found that when I was having carb problems myself after doing a google search,I have a manual for my motor but there so many differant models that its a pain to find which on is yours.wish I could find pdf files on all stuff for my motor.Happy to help.I know how much of a pain it can be.

Last edited:
Back