Logo

chrysler 65 hp outboard

keevin.chew

hi there just got a boat with a 65hp outboard and when i start it it isnt spitting any water back out so i shut it off i am thinking something might be blocked i have no clue about out boards any ideas would be grateful
thanks kev

What year/model?If the boat has set any length of time The waterpump might be bad.Does the overheat alarm go off.Does it have a telltale that shows if water is pumping through the engine? Get a manual at almost any marine store or library.
Are you in the water or on a hose with muffs?More info please.Fill out the profile too,you might be close to someone who can help.J

Congratulations on your purchase, the unfortunate part of your purchase is that the motor you have was made one year and unless it was retrofitted with a different ignition....you may have problems, believe me, I've got one in my shed that ran like a champ for one year and then half-as-ed the next when the ignition went out, I've done all the research on the thing, need another prop, I have two, need parts I can help you with that, I even have a repair manual, but I would say your water pump needs help. The water that circulates in the engine comes out the exhaust when it's running. Check out: http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?84114-65-hp-chrysler-outboard-info
Infor there too.
Good luck, gene, minot, north dakota

Hello Gene and everyone else in the '78 Chrysler 65 hp club, as I am a new member. Just bought a partially restored 1971 starcraft 17' with my 65 hp Chrysler, trailer, fishfinder for $850. So far I feel very good about that. The last owner only owned it for 5 months but did many types of servicing to the outboard, incl. carb rebuilds, new hoses and cables. The deck has been replaced, but the next job the boat needs is a new transom, which I want to tackle this winter, if all goes well. Both cylinders tested at around 115 PSI, according to former owner. Is this typical? If anyone has the manual for this engine and no longer needs it, please email me at: [email protected]. I need one even if it currently runs. The outboard did leave me stuck on the water my first time out, but I'm really not sure it wasn't from my inexperience. First, after running fine and then switching motor off, it wouldn't restart. Then, after finally starting again it missed/backfired a bit, then stalled when shifted into neutral and wouldn't restart. I had to get a tow to the dock :( I may have flooded it trying to start it, now I know how to un-flood it by removing plugs and turning it over. Does it sound like an engine issue or operator error? Bad gas/too rich? The next time I went to start it (hose attached) it fired right up. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

This post is over a year old.You should start a new one.
Profile?? Ethanol gas is a problem with old motors.Start a new post and explain what it's doing.J

Back