Logo

Old Mercury 1968 6hp Outboard fuel connector question

casey80

I have what I think is a 1968 Mercury 6hp outboard. I need to get the connector that hooks onto the motor and then is connected to the hose that goes to the tank. I can't find it anywhere. All the merc ones are too large for the hole. I even ground a plastic one down to fit but the female end is too large for the male end and fuel just squirts out when you pump it. Does anyone know where I can get the proper part? All online parts stores do not list the years that the parts fit.

Re: Old Mercury 6hp Outboard fuel connector question

I have an older 3.9 that I didn't have that same connector for. What I did was cut the end of the fuel line and insert a smaller hose inside it and wrap it with electrical tape, then push that smaller hose over the fitting on the motor and hold it on with a small hose clamp! Used this for 3 years and never had an issue! The boat shop was able to get the connector but it was almost $50 so I didn't bother!

Re: Old Mercury 6hp Outboard fuel connector question

Over the years it seems like Merc has had about 2 dozen different connectors. All my motors, regardless of brand are running OMC standard bayonette style connectors at both the engine end and the tanks.

They are the "cheapest" on the market and they have never changed the design, so I'm never worried about the wrong hose for whichever motor and if there is ever a problem you can even buy the connectors in places like Walmart.

So unless you are looking to keep the motor "factory original", for about 15 bucks you can change over the connector...

Back