Logo

2000 Mercury 150hp XR6 sluggish hole shot

FeFanatic

Hello, this is my first post. I posted this problem on another forum and no one can answer the question.
A little history here. I have a 2000 Mercury XR6 150 carbureted outboard that lost power. Last year this motor toasted #2 piston and cylinder due to a cooling issue (water pump impeller) I tore the motor down, sent the block off and had it sleeved and honed, replaced the piston, and re-ringed the rest of the cylinders. I retarded the timing two degrees as most manuals suggest once it has been rebuilt.
The motor ran great the rest of the summer and early this spring. A couple of months ago at Tablerock it lost power and won't hardly get out of its own way. I checked compression and all cylinders are within 2lbs of 120psi. I checked ignition timing and it had not changed from the 19 degrees I set it at. I checked carbs and they are adjusted properly. I suspected the spark control module so I disconnected it, moved the advance timing to 26 degrees which the manual says should be max and the motor responded nicely. Not a ball of fire but it was acceptable. The stator, ignition coils, wiring and fuel system seems to be ok. I could see plenty of fuel through the throats of the carbs at wot. The spark plugs do not indicate any lean condition. Since it seemed to respond to the 26 degree mechanical advance I figured the problem may be with the spark control module.With that I ordered a new spark control module, reset the timing to 20 degrees according to the sticker on the air box and tried it again. It still won't get out of its own way.
This motor idles fine, there doesn't appear to be a fuel related issue as it will run ok with the timing manually set to 26 degrees. I am at a loss.
I have a manual that covers 2001-present Mercury motors and it says the 2001 XR6 times at 26 degrees. This 2000 motor has a different ignition setup from the earlier control modules so I figure it is the same as a 2001. If that is the case the cranking timing should be at 26 degrees. The tag on the air box does say 20 degrees and the motor did run fine at 18 degrees.
The boat feels heavy on the hole shot. This motor is on a 18' Ranger with a 24 pitch hi five prop.
While I know that it did run decent before this problem occured I am at a loss as to what to do from here.
I have been trying to find out if the motor may be a early 2001 engine and should be timed at 26 degrees. The serial number is 0T066527. I have searched the web but can't find any serial records past 96. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 2000 Mercury XR6 sluggish hole shot

Sounds like the classic bad stator.i would read the stator windings with an ohmmeter and see if they are in spec.

Re: 2000 Mercury XR6 sluggish hole shot

It defiantly comes up as 2000. When you check the stator cold the reading may be ok,but when hot if there is a break in the windings it opens the break and continuity is lost.Heat it with a hairdryer or heat gun and test again.Just a thought.

Back