Logo

87 Suzuki 150hp…steering arm swap

wjob

Have access to an engine that has a rusted/weak steering arm. Not sure it can be welded, may have to replace. Clymer Manual has no reference to a steering arm? Anyone ever had any experience with a weld job and/or replacement and what has to be removed to do a replacement?

Also, any suggestion on how to determine acceptable (rough idea of) compression without hooking a battery to it and spinning it?

thanks
Bill

Have access to an engine that has a rusted/weak steering arm. Not sure it can be welded, may have to replace. Clymer Manual has no reference to a steering arm? Anyone ever had any experience with a weld job and/or replacement and what has to be removed to do a replacement?

Also, any suggestion on how to determine acceptable (rough idea of) compression without hooking a battery to it and spinning it?

thanks
Bill

Any body have any thoughts?

Any body have any thoughts?

I know this is old but thought I would answer anyway .... maybe it will help someone else.

Rust never sleeps. And it is very common for steering arms to rust.

If you can afford it, you should replace the steering arm assembly. That task requires the pulling of the powerhead on my Suzuki DT150 (1997). Yours is probably the same. Keep in mind that if the steering arm is pretty rusty, the powerhead mounting bolts are probably the same. If you break a bolt in the powerhead, the best bet is not to try to remove the broken bolt yourself unless you are experienced at removing broken rusty bolts from engine blocks and powerheads. Extractors usually don't work and make matters worse (and more expensive to repair). If you break a bolt, I would recommend you take it to a machine shop and let them do it. (Just my 2 cents). Good luck.

-Stretch

Back