Logo

8HP Yamaha - Runs 2 Mins/Stops 2 mins

dynamo1181

I have an 8hp that will run for 2 mins or so and then seems to run out of gas. If I prime the line it will not immediately restart. After about 2 mins , it starts and runs great again. I have an in line clear filter that seems to pass fuel with no problem and has been replaced. I have disassembled the carb cleaned the bowl and ports with carb cleaner and blown out the various passages. It seemed to run better for an hr or so and back to the same stalling routine. Its almost like the tank is not venting but recovers the vacume in time but thats not the problem. it also seems like the supply needle valve may be hanging almost closed?
The fuel is fresh and treated for the ethanol. I looked at the fuel pump diaphram and it looked ok. Ideas?
thx,
Alan

Update....
I traced the issue to a bad fuel supply hose connector. Back years ago, I changed out the Yahama type fuel line connector to a Nissen type becae the Yamaha would not hold a tight/leak proof connection. Now after 10 or so years, This connector developed enuff play that it allowed the sealing/spring loaded plungers to seal off fuel. So if fact the engine was running out of fuel. I replaced the connector and all is well.
Alan

Back