Logo

2000 Optimax 225hp

tunnelgas

I will start with the background...My father-in-law owns a 2000 year model Mercury Optimax 225 on a Triton TR21. The last time the boat was used over the winter when I took the boat to Dale Hollow smallmouth fishing. He and I usually fish together and in February I was transferred to Dallas, TX (he lives in Middle Tennessee). The boat has been on the trailer until yesterday when we put it in the water. It ran great but the check engine light came on after about 15 minutes of running. No buzzers, no rpm confinement. We brought it back to the dock and checked the books but nothing addressed the light and no buzzer. We fired it back up this morning and the oil light came on. Again, no buzzer and no rpm confinement.

The aux. oil tank is full as is the one on the engine. I have checked various forums for some previous posts but nothing exactly like what we are experiencing. As I mentioned, the boat runs GREAT...just like it always has - no hesitation, pulls right out of the water, no buzzers, no rpm confinement ... just warning lights.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Gallatin, TN

Re: 2000 Optimax 225

I have a 2002 225 optimax and it craked the #6 cylender. Cause is one or both thermostates got pluged it got too hot and the fuel rails too hot make the fuel vaporise before it should.
HAve the Mercury Mechanic hook it up to the computer and it will give you great information to see whats up.

my fix was a $6,000 2005 New Head and CPU.

They were on the 3rd Injector Alpha, Beta and then the 3rd.

Dont know why the 2002, 2003 2004 or 2005 certified Mercury Mechanic did not have the Knowlege, Found Jim Mertain in Oshkosh, WI had it solved right away.

Re: 2000 Optimax 225

opti guardian chart.jpgIf you look towards the bottom of the chart I have posted here you will see what "problems" can lead to a check engine light with no horn.

All of those conditions need to be diagnosed with a DDT at a Merc dealer - so get the engine in and get her "hooked up".

Continued running "could" cause a major problem depending on what component is out of spec..

Back