Logo

Noisy Hurth 630A

LeisurLee

I have a pair of Hurth 630A's that are starting to get noisy shifting from nuetral to forward or reverse. Is there any fluid recomendations other than ATF that could help quiet them. Just trying to buy some time before a rebuild is needed.

No "Cure in a Can" for a gear that I know of.

Is the gear the source of the noise? Noise sounds like ___? Noise consistent with RPM?

For the most part, marine gears are one of the most reliable items on a boat. Given a good maintenance regime, many will last for decades if not abused.

They are starting to "clunk" when shifted into gear. They both have alot of hours on them. I remember reading on a Hurth forum that instead of ATF they were using Hykon 052 lube. They claimed the gear noise was greatly reduced. I also am getting noise at idle in gear (570rpms). I need to keep the rpms low for trolling speed, but that noise could be the plates. Thanks for reply.

You can give it a whirl; some guys around here swear by RedLine and others by Royal Purple.

You could always put the pressure gauge on them and see how they are doing. I heard the only tricky part is the metric thread on the test port.

good luck.

First time reading this thread. Did you solve the problem yet? Do you have the idle specs for your engine, 570 idle in gear sounds low to me. This will make the tranny rattle. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Back