Logo

2001 40HP Mercury ELPTO - first trouble ever today

jayw

I'm brand new to this forum, even though I'm a regular visitor to iboats. Hoping someone can help me with a problem we had on the water today.

We have a 2001 40HP ELPTO that always runs great - til the end of today. We were running WOT, which we do all the time, on our small pontoon. Out of nowhere, the motor bogged just like it was out of gas. Except we still had fuel in the tank. I brought the throttle to idle, and the motor died. I thought to change tanks so I did, and started the motor fine. As soon as I started to push on the throttle the motor seemed sluggish and started bogging again. Then the tach started jumping wildly around to 7K, 8K, 9K - even though we were maybe running 1500-2K RPM then. We were heading back in anyway to once we got to the launch, I noticed the power trim working intermittently. It's been perfect til that minute. I got the motor up and we pulled the boat out.

I pulled the cowl hood off just to look if there was anything obvious. Lo and behold there I saw 2 wires laying on the bottom of the case, a brown and a brown/white with male/female bullet connector ends separated. I don't know if they belong together but they sure look like they do. Also one side, the male side, looked like it actually burned the grease/oil at the bottom of the case, like it was arching.

I am thinking this is my problem. A few weeks ago the marina hooked up a multimeter to test the RPMs on the motor, the boat was overpropped. I am thinking THIS is where they connected, didn't put it together tight, and it finally vibrated loose.

I attached 2 pics, pls excuse the poor cell phone cam quality.

If these wires weren't to be connected to anything would they be laying like that? Anyone know what those wires are? Can this be my problem? Seems too coincidental.

We couldn't test the boat tonight, we just put it away. Like to know what to expect before I put it in next time.

THANKS for any help offered.

Attachments

• 0813001714a.jpg
    0813001714a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 585
  • 0813001714b.jpg
    0813001714b.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 708
Back