Logo

Check list for non starting issues 1981 Merc 9.8hp

buff

Hello all,

I have a 1980-1981 (2 years for the same set of serial numbers for some reason) 9.8 Mercury that I'm having problems starting. I'm new in the world of outboard motors (I also own a 1968 Penn Yan 23' sportfisherman with merc Alpha One I/O). The motor has good compression and started on about the 3rd pull for about 2 weeks. Recently I had to have the rewind assembly fixed at my local shop, and after having it returned I've found that it won't start. What is a good check list of things to look for while attempting to get it started again? I've already changed the sparkplugs (simple enough fix) and I know that there is gas getting to the carb (as I see some dripping out after priming the bulb). The only issue I can see as a problem is the wire from the stop button is corroded (although still in tact) but doesn't appear to be any worse than it was when it was starting before. Any ideas on things to check for?

Thanks all! :)

Buff

Re: Check list for non starting issues 80-81 Merc 9.8

check for spark, remove a plug and ground it to the engine, pull rope, no spark = no start. If the carb is dripping it is not right, it might be flooding the engine. With the plugs out and if you pull the rope the cyls should make a poof poof sound to let you know that fuel/air is being drawn in.

check for spark, remove a plug and ground it to the engine, pull rope, no spark = no start. If the carb is dripping it is not right, it might be flooding the engine. With the plugs out and if you pull the rope the cyls should make a poof poof sound to let you know that fuel/air is being drawn in.

Thanks Beckerjs. Yes I pulled the spark plugs before I changed them, opened the choke and heard the poof poof sound when pulling the rope as I thought about the flooding issue as well. I pulled the plugs, obviously disconnected the fuel line and open the carb and pulled about 30 times to try and clear the system as best as I could. How would you recommend grounding the plug to the engine to check for spark? Its not a heavy pour of gas from the carb, just a few drops noticable enough to have a very small pool of gas below the carb, I assumed it was just overflow from the priming of the bulb I'm going to leave it sit until tuesday and see if and see if it will dry out between now and then. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks! :)

you might need 2 people but remove a plug, put the wire back on, touch the base of the plug to metal, spin engine. Another way is call the wife, tell her to hold the plug with one hand and hold the engine block with the other, spin engine. Before you do that put a 12 pack and cooler in the dog house.

The carb is telling you its not happy, it needs to be removed and cleaned, set float. When you pump the bulb pressure builds in the line and the carb will drip even when you walk away, certain flooding.

you can also get a spark tester, runs between the plug and the wire. Glows if spark is present. That corroded wire might be an issue too. If you're not gonna change it check it for continuity.

Back