Logo

Setting Points on a 1967 9.8 Model 110

jagans

Well, I bought the Seloc 1404 repair manual and I am less than impressed. I wonder if the people that write these manuals try to accomplish a specific task while reading back what they write to see if they forgot any critical points (No Pun Intended).

I am attempting to set my point gap. I have the number one cylinfer (Top) at TDC. I did this by simply pulling the plug, holing a thin screwdriver against the top of the piston and turning the crank untill absolute TDC was found. I replaced all of the components on the stator plate except the coils, which checked out good. I installed the stator plate and rotated into place so that the throttle sync bracket lined up with the holes on the stator plate. I then installed the screws through the cam bracket into the stator plate.

Now here is my dilemma. As you turn the twist grip, the stator plate rotates in relation to the lobe on the cam that is attached to the crank shaft. This is obviously to advance the ignition as the throttle is opened. My question is: At what position should the throttle, and therefore the stator plate be when you set the point gap? I am thinking shift into neutral to limit throttle travel, Get No 1 to TDC then set the points to .020. Is this correct? Or do I rotate the stator plate so the rubber block of the points is at the high point of the cam while at TDC on No 1, then adjust the throttle grip from there?

The seloc manual makes reference to a "Collar" out of the clear blue with no prior reference, and makes no mention of throttle position as it relates to the stator plate. Since igntion timing and throttle position are directly linked on these engines, There has to be a starting point for both. My ignition is a straight magneto type with the doughnut coils on the stator stacks.

Thank you all in advance for a clear, concise answer.

Back