Logo

Mariner Marathon 1998 40hp - stopped and did not start again -

iagv

Hi there...:)

I'm new to the forum and I'd like some help. I got a Mariner Marathon 40hp, year 1998, 2 cyl. SN/0G60xxxx

Since I bought it it was like a charm, started at first pull, ver steady and good power.

Last weekend we were fishing at the lake, saturday was ok, sunday started ok, but we stopped to cast and shut motor. Short story: it did not started, we check all what we can on the place and seems to have no spark.

I re-checked today and definitive it has no spark at all in both coils. I will appreciate any help and advice on how to troubleshoot it.

I got factory service manual and I reading the follow test procedures. It seems I would require a DVA or a multimeter with HOLD MAX function will work?

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

Re: Mariner Marathon 40 - stopped and did not start again -

You need the DVA. The trigger and stator produce AC. The DVA kinda converts and holds the max AC peak which is then displayed as DC on the meter (I'm not electronics geek so that's a kinda simple explanation).

A max hold or persistence function will not work - in DC mode it wouldn't recognize the AC properly and in AC mode it wouldn't give you the DC value that all the specs are published in (read - this was something they did on purpose so you would have to buy the specialized tool).

You can however, do simple resistance tests on the stator and trigger. Both will tell you if the windings are intact and connected. Since you have no spark at all, if you have continuity with their windings, odds are very very high that the switchbox is toast...

Re: Mariner Marathon 40 - stopped and did not start again -

Thanks for reply GALAMP, I'll go and build or buy a DVA device so I can check correctly. Thanks also for the advice regarding the stator P/N's

Back