Logo

trim and tilt

trim and tilt makes a tremendous noise when going up and down I feel it needs replaced only # i can find on it is 37-43530-1 need the right size can anyone help 1999 90 hp merc.

one ram or three?

If you are lucky then it is the easy to service one ram and the noise is coming from your motor. I have a gut feeling that is not likely. The 1999 motors tended to last a lot longer than 10 years. But any noise other than motor is going to need a full rebuild before system can be stamped 110% reliable. If it is a motor then either hit ebay and buy my swap out or - better yet - live with it until the off season. The Chinese motors aren't as good as the US made ones but they do drive the price down. During the off season the asian importers will get restocked and the US made dealers will drop their prices back down again. A well built motor is going to run you $250-$350 right now. In February you can score same for $200ish or less.

If you have the 3ram then I think I would be tempted to reccomend waiting for off season and then doing a complete top-to-bottom rebuild. I'm not sure, but I think that to replace your motor if 3ram means taking apart one of your transom clamps. If so, then the labor hours you'll spend just getting it on-off your boat is as much as it takes to do a rebuild. Why swim 3/4 way across atlantic ocean just to turn around and swim back?

it is a single ram and since the noise could not be coming from the ram I am 99% sure it is the motor and as for me I do not have an off season I use this boat and motor twice a week

Back