Logo

1985 115hp Merc top end miss

Coldfront

1984 or 1985 115 hp Merc. 6 cyl. outboard. I was in Canada for week fishing trip the first problem it started knocking some where on the top end of the motor got it back to the dock, it sat over night problem was gone in the morning, next day again latter in the afternoon it started knocking again then quit, but on the way back to the cabin it died out, I could get it started but it would not get up on plane, it would start missing and almost die out, but run smooth at idle and no knocking, we idled all the way back to the cabin, pulled it out in the morning took it to the local marina checked out a few things tried a new set of spark plugs but same thing, so we decided it was a bad switch box (power pack) these motors have 2 each runs 3 cylinders. The guy at the marina had a good used one it was a crap shoot so I replaced the bottom switch box put it back in the lake problem solved it now runs good gets on plane good all is good. We figured the knocking was detonation, a cylinder trying to spark at the wrong time. So the next day we head out get out on the lake about 5 miles and starts acting up again, this time the miss starts happening at around 4,000 rpm it starts cutting out, if I run it below 4,000 rpm it is ok, not a big deal we just ran it the last 2 days of our trip below 4,000 rpm. It gets up on plane fine and runs good untill 4,000 rpm. So could it be bad spark plug wires? another bad switch box? We did test the high speed windings of the stator there seemed to be no short. Any other idea's anyone? BTW the miss definitely sounds electrical.

Last edited:
Re: 1985 115 Merc top end miss

I have the same motor.The stator was bad,rotten wires.almost all those 80,s motors have to have a new stator .merc used poor wiring at that time.It may be that your stator is fine till your motor heats up & the stator gets hot.You can try heating it up with a hair dryer or something to check it.

Re: 1985 115 Merc top end miss

The stator has been replaced once already, it tested good but I never tried testing it hot. The high rpm miss does make it sound like a stator, also switch box problems can do all sorts of weird stuff. It is almost a change parts deal and see which one fixes it. Expensive way to go about it but what else are you going to do?

Back