Logo

Something slipping in outdrive

J

John Mittleider

" I have a 93 Searay, 4.3L. Wh

" I have a 93 Searay, 4.3L. While out on the lake this weekend I experienced what felt like the prop falling off or the transmission popping out of gear. After a 30 min run at about 30mph the the boat just stopped moving forward. It was in gear, the engine was running good, and the prop hadn't fallen off. I tried several cycles of shifting from neutral to forward and could only get the boat upto about 10-15mph before it popped out again. After a 20 minute rest stop I was able to reengage the drive and it worked fine for the 20-30 minute run back to the dock. Can someone tell me what might be causing this. "

" If your engine RPM's sta

" If your engine RPM's stayed high even though the boat stopped, check your prop for slipping hub. When you started the motor after the 20 minute break, could you get full speed or just a little above idle? If low speed was the case, definitely check the prop. Have a great day. "

Even with a prop that slips y

Even with a prop that slips you can not test it by hand. You can remove it and look for wear between the prop and the thrust washer or try another prop.

When was the last time you re

When was the last time you removed the outdrive and greased the drive splines? Sounds like stripped drive splines.Should be greased every year!

" I would say this is your pro

" I would say this is your prop. Hub of prop is turning, but at higher loads, (faster speeds) prop is stalling around hub. "

Back