Logo

Only 1/2 power evinrude 70

Bastian

Hello,

I have an evinrude 3 cylinder 70 hp of about 25 years old.
It is fitted with VRO.

The engine runs wel, but it can only do half its normal revs and speed.
I cleaned the carburators, checked the sparkplugs, there's enough oil in the tank and evreything seems to be fine.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks
Greetings from the Netherlands

Have you checked the compression? When you cleaned the carburators, did you disassemble, soak in solvent, and blow out all passages?

I haven't checked the compression, but I know somebody who has a compression kit. I doubt it is the compression because it runs fine.

I blew through the carburators and cleaned them, seem to be allright.

Does anybody know if these kind of engines have some sort of safetymode against overheating or something? Maybe it is in this mode right now?

If the engine is 25 years old, it doesn't have a "slow" mode when overheated. Before anyone can diagnose the problem, certain tests must be run and the results known. A compression test and a spark test are the first on the list. For example, the compression test could indicate a blown head gasket...which your symptoms sound like to me. Give it a shot and let us know the results.

With low compression on one cylinder, a JE 70 would seem to run fine on just two cylinders, but would have all of the symptoms you describe. Here's to hoping it is just an ignition problem.

Back