Logo

1995 200hp johnson warped carbs

oceanrunner

I have a 1995 Johnson 200 with plastic carbs. I took it to the shop because, after I rebuild the carbs, the engine would idle normally then rev up high all by itself. I could never get it to idle properly. I took it to a boat mechanic and he said the carbs are warped. He didn't say the float bowl,but the carb housing itself from over- tighting the bolts. How can I correct this problem without buying new carbs? I read somewhere about glass plate and emery cloth? What is the glass plate for?

Re: 200 johnson warped carbs

The idea is that you need a perfectly flat surface. That's what the glass plate is for. You put the emery cloth on top of the plate, and do figure-8's with whatever you are trying to resurface on top of the cloth. I have done this with heads before, but not carbs. If this doesn't work, try Ebay. I bought a spare set for my engine for $50 on there. Not sure I will ever need them, they may end up back on Ebay!

Re: 200 johnson warped carbs

with these type of carbs, unable to do the figure 8 with emery cloth. I figure just to place on any flate surface and do the best i can to even the important area where the gasket seats. Carbs to bulkie

Back