Logo

Mercury stalls 1984 75hp

MANDOLINCHUCK

I have a 84-86 mercury 75 hp 4cyl with 2 carbs. Engine runs idle and taking off but 3-4 minutes after plain engine starts cutting out like starving for fuel. I have changed fuel tank primer bulb all fuel lines fuel pump rebuild carbs and changed plugs and wires and one coil. But still cuts out, pumping bulb does not help and compression is 103 -110 on all cylinders. When engine starts cutting out i can pull back to wake speed for a little while and then take off for a while before acting up again, if engine cuts off i can put in neutral and starts right back up. Need advise where to go from here.

Re: Mercury stalls

It is possible the stator is shutting down when hot, if you have a timing light you can put it on any sparkplug and run the engine. Observe the flashes when the engine shuts down. You could also remove the flywheel and inspect the stator for cracks/melted flash marks.The resistance checks can be found below but may not show up as bad untill hot
http://www.maxrules.com/fixignitionspecs.html

a friend told me that the block could have a hair line crack and letting water in cyl when getting hot how could i check for that also.

if water is getting in one or more plugs will be steamed cleaned/white. It is possible, but the timing light would show this if its dropping a plug. Start from the bottom up, observe the light flashes. If its a water problem once it gets hot it won't go away.

Back