Logo

whats the cure for no pressure fuel tank 1956 10hp

I have a 1956 johnson 10 hp motor, but have no fuel tank. I kinda would like to keep it original as much as possible, but will do what it takes to make her useable again. Are there any pressure tanks available? If not is there a kit for a fuel pump for these? Thanks in advance.

Re: whats the cure for no pressure fuel tank

You can check ebay for a pressurized fuel tank...there's usually some available.

Thanks, for the info all; I started this boat thing this spring fixing up my granfathers old 1968 appleby 12ft row boat. I started playing with the old omc motors a bit. so far I have 2 fisherman 6 hp motors a 56 johnson 10 hp, and a unidentified 5 hp motor. I plan on collecting mid 50's small motors , I think there the coolest looking. So ill be after motors up to 18hp for my collection. And probably be asking lots more questions. I am 49 years old and have a 6 year old daughter who loves my boat and fishing, I told her it will be hers. So this is a dad daughter thing that dad is getting obsessed with. anyhow thanks . You know you would think that one of the parts stores such as this one would put together a kit for this in one simple package complete. Or reman tanks.
IS THERE ANY REASON i CANNOT TAKE THE PULSE FOR A FUEL PUMP FROM THE PORT MARKED AIR?????

Last edited:

Go to aomci.org for sure. I know there are members in your area that would likely help out either with sources or parts. Some would disagree about the coolest looking part (personally I prefer the 57 Javelin with the 56 Javelin a close second) as they maybe into some other maker. Some of the 50's Mercury motors can be real pretty. The two motors to watch for in the QD series are the 14 and 15. Each has a finned area on the mid-tower along with a raised SeaHorse emblem.

I believe that port...under the carburetor does not offer a pulse but pumps air under enough pressure to blow the diaphragm

OK so heres the deal I successfully converted my 66 10hp sea horse by drilling and tapping the upper small side cover and installing a hose barb. Which was connected to a mikuni fuel pump and blocking off the blow hole with a screw. It works excellent. Now I want to do the same to my 58 5.5hp sea horse, but there are no small side covers on this motor. There is a hose that appears to go from the upper cylinders lower end to the bottom cylinders lower end, does anyone know what that hose is for? Is there any reason I cannot take my pulse from there? Really hate to drill and tap the block cause then you cannot go back. Thanks Roy.

40 mile river cruize on this 56 10 hp motor and never missed a beat. This motor probably has 120 hrs on it since fuel pump mod and havent had any problams short of shearing a prop keyway and that was a bronze one. thanks for all the help.

Back