Logo

tachometer problem

robert_kardonis

Tach on my 90 hp 2 strke stopped working. Dealer said I needed a new one so I got one on EBay and installed it same as old one. New one works occasionally, but is intermittent and usually shows nothing. I don't think I wired it wrong, but have to wonder. What could be the problem? Alternator problem? Dealer said it was putting out, but I have had some issues with battery dying.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

purple for power, black for ground, grey is the sence wire, so check for power and ground with a volt/ohm meter. Next check the battery voltage, then while running the engine check the battery voltage again, it should be more than what it was. If your battery is old and weak it could fry the regulator/rectifier, once that is gone then the tach won't work.

Thanks. I think I'll give this to the dealer. I am pretty sure it is wired correctly. I don't have the equipment or knowhow to check this all out. You would think the dealer would know. They just checked the alternator and said it was putting out 14v, but I have been having battery problems for a lonf time. The battery is new because I have had to replace it frquently.

What year is your motor? There is a good chance you just have a defective rectifier and they are easy to check.

you're right. I should learn to do more. I'm pretty tired of going to the dealer, paying them and still having to go back multiple times to actually get something fixed.

I'm not sure of the year of the motor. I think around 2002 0r so. Serial # OT202393, if that tells you anything. What does the rectifier do? Where is it and how do you check it?

Your help is much appreciated.

Correction: It is probably a 2001

My manual doesn't go quite that high. You have a rectifier/regulator. The rectifier converts AC from the stator to DC and the regulator regulates the output to the battery to keep it charged. Recommend you get a manual for your motor. It can save you a lot of money.

Back