Logo

Water Pump seal? 1982 25hp

the_beave

I have an 82 Mariner 25hp serial # 695-311253. I have to replace the water pump housing which is on order, and from the schematics that I have found it shows a seal that goes between the metal cup and the housing itself. The problem I have is that the seal in question (part #94807m or 95653m) is obsolete! I am wondering if this seal is needed and if so can I use silicone or something? If so how much would I use!

Re: Water Pump seal?

Regardless of whether or not I have that seal (o-ring, gasket, whatever) I put a bead of weatherstrip sealer (used on auto's) - just a clear "gooey" stuff in a tube.

OMC used to make a product called "adhesive M" that was designed for water tight seals. There is a product that replaced it (try a websearch), or go with the weatherstrip stuff or even "Marine Goop" (which is just a silicone).

Don't use Permatex - too messy to get off the next time it needs service...

I got lucky and found the gasket at a "not so local" local shop...lol! So do you put the weatherstrip stuff on both sides of the gasket or just one and how much do you use?

If it really is a "gasket" I usually coat both sides with "aviation gasket sealing compound" (also just called gasket sealing compound) - comes in a little bottle with it's own brush attached to the cap.

If the seal is rubber/plastic etc, I put a light bead of weatherstrip adhesive on one surface. I look for a (little bit) to squish out under the edge when tightened down....

Back