Logo

Matching Twin 1988 50 HP Mercs

chazzmann

I believe my Merc to be a 1988 50 Hp, with T&T. I'm currently looking to buy another to run twins. What do I need to know for my second engine? Do I have to match the exact year, or will a couple of years one way or the other work. Example, there is a 1985 50 HP Merc for sale close by, would this work?

I intend to use side by side controls, T&T and ignitions in the console.

Thank you,
Chazzmann

Re: Matching Twin 50 HP Mercs

The 1985 was essentially the same motor as your 88 model (same block, carb style, ignition etc).

They made some changes around the 1990 model year, so basically anything between 1985-1990 will be mechanically identical - should all hook up the same as far as controls etc.

Since you can't convert one (easily) to a counter rotating lower unit you might find the boat will kinda (torque) in one direction, but that's really a rigging issue that can be corrected to a great extent.

And it will sound neat! There's a Youtube video of twin Merc 400s floating around. Worth a look.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, yeah twins sound kinda like a Cessna! Still trying to pinpoint the exact year of my current 50 HP 4 cylinder # A159943

That should be an 85 model (built in the second half of the year).

Merc redesigned almost all of their models for the 1986 model year (which is when they went to the alpha-numeric production numbers) - so a bunch of 85's got 1986 serials.

That does cause some confusion with certain models (7.5's and 9.8's come to mind immediately). The 7.5/9.8 ceased production after 1985 but some have 1986 serials.

So you have a 1985, 4 cylinder 50 with a 1986 3 cylinder 50 serial. Models with serials below A72..... are the end run of the 4 cylinder models...

Back