Logo

Disengament problem on Velvet Drive

martin_s

I have I my boat 2 Borg Warner gears, the boat has now been out of the water for nearly two years for a rebuild. Now the boat is back in the water. The engines has been replaced, but with the old gears.
Now, the starboard gear is not fully disengaging when the lever I in neutral…. It works fine both forward and I reverse, but I neutral it is running along I forward direction but half of the speed in is running engaged idling.
The problem has accrued after the two years out of duty as this was not a problem in the past. What can the reason for this be?? And even more important, how can it be solved
Best Regards Martin

disconnect the control cable and see if the dragging still exists when the control lever is is in the 'notch' in neutral. If it goes away, you have a control cable/box issue. Inspect and repair/replace as required.

if the shaft continues to spin, I'd suspect the forward clutch was hot at some time and now has warped parts...the only fix would be to replace them. Not much else to go wrong given the symptoms.

Back