Logo

Does this unit run ok? - movielink avail. 1990 30hp

dangerousdave

Hi guys! Just bought a johnson 30 hp from 1990. I´m its third owner and it hasnt run that much the last ten years. The prop got one dent in one of its fins and the "sword" on the lowest part, ahead of the prop is slightly bent after a close encounter with a rock.

I just wonder: does this unit run ok? The video Im embedding is taken today and shows the unit at idle speed, forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5lF7gusN0

Second: after I have run the enginge forward in any kind of speed and put it in neutral, the idle goes up, alot more then when I start it.

Otherwise its a nice cleac unit and it starts first time, everytime.

Hope anyone got the time to help me, any tips and ideas are welcome!!!

Regards
Dave
Sweden

Re: Does this unit run ok? - movielink avail.

It looks like it is idling a little rough, might time to be tuned up and maybe the carb overhauled. I would check the compression and spark, if they were ok I would overhaul the carb.
Can't tell in the video, is that steam or smoke coming from the exhaust?

Sparkplugs are new, missed that one. So something is not right with it then? Good, then Im not the only one that thinks so.

Carb: I did a small overhauling on my 4.5 deluxe from 84 with isopropy alcohol and comp. air. Is that what you have in mind?

Then the smoke: I cant tell if its smoke or steam, sorry. But Im gonna look next time I go out. The gas in the tank in this vid is new and has 2% two-stroke oil in it.

I have a shop just a couple of minutes from my house, I´ll let them check the compression and spark, sounds like to much for me. And I dont have the kit for it.

Heres a small video of it running at near max. From a fishingtrip a couple of days ago with my dad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-kw7HZ2Uw

Thanks for your input and help, I really apreciate it!! :)

Dave

Checked the carb and it has a design that dont really leave any room for adjusting anything. No lowspeed or highspeed needle to manipulate that I can se. Got one screw to the side, on the upper part.

And any thoughts on why the idle is higher after the gear has been engaged and disengaged once?

Dave

The screw on the side of carb is the slow speed needle adjust. See #14 in pic.

Attachments

• ss needle-1.JPG
    ss needle-1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 48

Ah ok, as i thought then! Thanks for the pic!

Screwed that in and got down to where the engine nearly stalled. Went back some and it ran ok but still alittle rought. So it wasnt that easy.. damn!!

Dave

I have a shop just a couple of minutes from my house, I´ll let them check the compression and spark, sounds like to much for me. And I dont have the kit for it.

Before taking it to a mechanic I would check some more easy stuff. Like check the plugs. Are they the right type, cleaned and gap to spec? Check the wires and verify the connections are firm. Also, checking spark and compression is not difficult (with the forums help), and the tools are fairly cheap. A spark tester cost about $7 (US), and a compression tester for $20-30 (US). So buying the tools would be less than a 1/2 hour labor at a shop (US).

Last edited:

Hm ok, thats not a bad idea, sparktester and compression test-thingy cant be that hard to find here. Im Swedish by the way, northern Europe?! :)

Thanks for trying to help :D

Dave

Back