PDA

View Full Version : Bukh DV24 - Pressure in sump

Mark Finlay
08-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I have a Bukh DV 24 with pressure in the sump. The oil is thick but i dont think that it is water. can anyone assist. I also dont have a manual(just brought boat), does anyone know where I can get a manual from.

shakey
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Gday Mark,
It may be a blocked grank case breather or cyl gas blowby, how does the engine cold start? If lube oil has water dilution it will change colour towards light grey depending upon %.Sounds like engine is due for a service-- oil, filter etc at your operating area a good quality 15/40 diesel oil is whats needed.The prices of bukh parts in aus will floor you, take the old filters to repco for a match, if i find the euro site re manual i'll post latter.

Cheers.

Mark Finlay
08-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. The engine starts cold OK but the pressure in the sump becomes big problem. As I dont have a manual at the moment it is hard for me to fault find. Because the oil is so thick I cant remove via the dip stick and I cant reach the drain plug which I have to work out.

shakey
08-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Mark,
First step clean crankcase vacuum valve located in engine oil filler cap with kero, when clean and workimg this allows the crankcase to run a slight neg pressure.The motor has probably been running to cold or using the wrong oil this is the cause of most sludging.You will need to run the engine 20-30 mins to thin oil to help with evacuation via dipstick, if no joy add a couple of litres of diesel and crank hot engine over with stop lever in the kill position, repeat as required. Google, manuals Scheepmotoron for dv24 info.

Mark Finlay
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. Dont have an oil cap only a screwed plug, unless I am looking at this wrong. Looked up Scheepmotoron and go nothing. Is the name wrong?

rmmu
10-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Mark, just stumbled on this year-old thread. I'm in Pittwater with a DV36 and just wondering what the outcome of your "pressure in sump" issue was? Was it the oil filler cap valve or something else? Mark