Logo

Shift rod adapter?

bbstacker

I am attempting to reattach an 80HP model 800 lower end. I didn't remove it so I am a bit in the dark. Is there an adapter for the shift rod between the mid section and the lower section? I'm looking at two male ends here.
Thanks.

No there is no shift shaft adaptor, the female end is in the exhaust housing and the male end is in the gearcase and they slip into each other and no adaptor is required. Place the gearcase in neutral and the motor in the neutral possition and assemble..Merc

Last edited:
The shift rod that comes up out of lower unit is a male.then the adaptor that has female end on both sides go onto it ,then the male from the motor goes into the other side of the adapter.If you don't look at it good it looks like the adapter is part of the lower unit shift rod.

Ok. Thanks guys. I now have a better idea of this. All I'm seeing there is definetly two male splined ends. So maybe the adapter has just slipped down on top of the cam then? I'll look real close when the sun comes up. Mercmaster, I thought this was supposed to be in forward gear. At least that's how it was removed. BR Dennis

Last edited:
Back