Logo

perkins 4107

mchael

hi all,just joined,and bought a 26 freeman with a 4107 diesel engine,first of all ive got that dreaded grey oil in the sump,i havnt done much investigating as of yet,but hav an idea it will cost me if my worst fears are realised,which is burst liner,.but before we go down that road the jabsco water pump is leaking alot of water into the bilge,and i am going to replace this asap,and i was wondering would this be another way which the water could enter the engine and mix with the oil? thank you all in advance:)

G'day,
Water can find its way into the sump via the sw pump shaft but given it is a jabsco with external drain vents and a shaft slinger this is unlikely, once the pump has been removed for reconditioning the inner bearing condition will tell the story.Is the motor using fresh water or is it salt water cooled? water can reach the sump via other ways such as u/s head gasket, cracked head,exhaust manifold or elbow back flow, bad oil cooler, bad coolant circ pump back plate or u/s liner seal rings-block area to name a few.

G'day, thanks for the reply shakey,its fresh water fed,have it on the shannon here in Ireland,so i should remove the pump strip it down and replace wots nakered,.then take it from there,process by elimination.if thats not the culprit wot would you suggest goin at next?

First rebuild jabsco pump. 2. Check exhaust system including elbow for flow back. 3. Test oil cooler for leaks.4. remove injectors check ends for for water marks5. Do compression tests. 6. Remove cyl head check gasket,cracks and liner protrusion.Are liner weep holes along side of block exht side clear not blocked & dry? Is motor direct fw cooled or heat exchanger fw to fw ?

Back