Logo

Vro pump Jonhson 1996 40hp modification

leoni

Hi
I have a Jonhson 40hp 1996 model
I want to use the vro pumb only with mixed gas with oil
I had read I have to disconnect the cables for the alarm leds, disconnect and close the oil supply, and mix the gas with 1% oil
1) Is that correct?
2) Will the vro pump work ok with no oil sypply, or it will blow out? because the service men in Greece say that the vro pump will fail because the pump was lubricated with the oil supply, and they must put a gas only pump to do the job

Is this correct or they lie?
Do you suggest to do that or leave vro as it is?

Thanks in advance

The oil side of the pump will fail quickly. You won't be able to go back to oil injected operation. The fuel side will continue to function normally.

If it's working why mess with it?

The oil side of the pump will fail quickly. You won't be able to go back to oil injected operation. The fuel side will continue to function normally.

If it's working why mess with it?

I agree with this - why change it if it's working?

Like he said, the oil side will be damaged w/ no oil, but will not affect the fuel side. I used a "gas only" vro pump for about 8 years, no problem. I got that engine set up with that (oil side plugged, premix gas). I now have a functional VRO/OMS unit and much, much prefer it. Contrary to popular opinion, I firmly believe the system is more reliable, on average, than fallible humans mixing gas.

Finally, it's a 2% mixture, not 1%

Back