Logo

Battery recommendations?

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
I'm looking for a new battery for my boat before I head out for a 2 week vacation during which time my boat will be in the water (normally it's on the trailer when not being used).

I don't need anything special, just a decent, size 24 general purpose marine battery will do. I don't run a lot of accessories but need ample reserve capacity so my automatic bilge pump does not deplete the battery overnight while the boat is in the water.

The battery I am replacing is an Exide Nautilus I bought in early 2003. The specs for it are 650 MCA, 525 CCA and 80 RC. In spite of being over 7 years old, it is still very reliable and has never failed or caused any problems, possibly due to my trickle charging it when necessary and storing it indoors during the off season. I think though that it's time to replace it before it becomes a problem.

There are lots of opinions out there regarding marine batteries. I am considering Duralast (AutoZone), Les Schwab, or possibly one from Costco.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences to share regarding marine batteries? Thanks!

I don't stock batteries at my shop but do buy them from a freind you owns an automotive shop here in our small town. He stocks the Interstates and that's what I get from him, the plain old group24 marine battery. I have never had a problem with them and have put MANY in customer boats. I like it as IF you do have a problem you can take it to any place that sells Interstate and they will fix you up if under warranty still. like I said, I have not had any failures on the battery's part in many years of useing them.
I run the 6VDC one's in my 5th wheel and have never had a problem there either. The Interstates may be a little more spendy but when I'm boating or RVing the last thing I want is battery problems.

Thanks Gary. I went ahead and bought a Costco group 24 marine deep cycle. $68 out the door. I know Costco generally sells quality stuff and they back their products well so all in all, it was hopefully a wise purchase.

Thanks Gary. I went ahead and bought a Costco group 24 marine deep cycle. $68 out the door. I know Costco generally sells quality stuff and they back their products well so all in all, it was hopefully a wise purchase.

The ones with the blue top? I have ran two of these for the last 4+ years without one single hiccup. :D

The ones with the blue top? I have ran two of these for the last 4+ years without one single hiccup. :D

No, this one is all black except for the labeling. It is a Kirkland Deep Cycle Marine.
I think you may have Optima Blue Tops?

41UpyBdt1WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's my take (and opinion only) from having both personal and professional experience, as well as participating on a large boating forum where this battery topic often pertains to small cruiser type boats. This topic has been discussed many times, and by those with much more knowledge than I.

We generally see two (2) types of demands for batteries:
  • A demand for cranking our engines..... (aka starting bank)
  • A demand for operating Radios, lights, pot pullers, fun stuff, etc..... (aka House Bank)
IMO, high amp cranking is best served if performed by a "Cranking" battery..... not a Deep Cycle....... not a so called Dual Purpose!
The lower current items are best served via "Deep Cycle" batteries. These are designed for this type of usage.

While not as commonly seen on smaller boats, the two (2) battery bank system creates both the proper type of 12 volt power (for the demand), and yet if set up correctly, creates redundancy!
We can completely separate these two types via an MBSS (main battery selector switch) and we then manage these batteries accordingly.
(you can get real elaborate and create systems that do not need to be quite so micro-managed via the Bluesea system ACR's, Battery Combining systems, etc. )

Most will crank their engines on the dedicated "Cranking" battery, and then switch, keeping this battery in "RESERVE" until cranking is needed again.

While you may not necessarily need a "House Bank" on a small hull....., redundancy may just save your bacon someday! :)

NEVER allow your battery(s) to remain in any severe state of discharge for any duration. Bring them back to as near full state of charge, and ASAP, rather than later!
Leaving them in a state of discharge is when the damage occurs!
Most of us generally KILL our batteries by not taking proper care of them!

The general consensus is, that wet Cell batteries usually out-perform the Gel Cell in regard to capacity, and the wet cell does not require a special finishing voltage as do Gel Cells. The Gel Cells are great, but I think they have their place in other applications, rather than in boats.

Again, this is just my opinion on batteries!

Last edited:
Back