Logo

1968 18hp erude probs

j74snook

Got a 1968 18 hp fastwin. Motor started bucking and i lost forward gear. I replaced gear, dog and the collar that was on the dog. I started the motor and put it into gear and nothing. Is it possibly the driveshaft? I have a spare but not to sure how to replace if it is the problem. Great running motor but not sure if I want to keep putting all this money into such an old motor since parts are hard to find and they are expensive. They wanted 460 dollars for a forward gear and luckily i found a used one in great shape for 20. Thanks for the help

Re: 1968 erude probs

i beleive you have to pull the powerhead but dont quote me on that if you have a manual it should tell you if the motor runs good they are all worth keepen motors back then were built tough and the ran forever

No, You don't pull the powerhead to change the drive shaft!!! Did you have reverse gear when you lost forward? Sounds to me like your shift fork is not where it's supposed to be when you reassembled the gear case. Are you sure you got the shift fork screw through the hole in the shift fork??

I'm 90% sure it went in the shiftfork correctly. And yes i had reverse gear. I guess ill drain the oil and check it again. but I do remember it being
a little stubborn putting the fork screw in so just maybe that is the problem. another Q the rubber seal for foot assymbly was a little worn so i used some slicone gasket maker to insure a seal. is that acceptable?

Last edited:

I use silicone sealant every time I reseal a gearcase, even with a new rope seal. Especially at the ends of the rubber seal where it makes contact with the prop shaft seal housing. It is best to use a new rubber rope seal. Did you pull the lower unit to work on the gear case? Maybe your shift rod connector is slipping on the rod shaft?

So i guess what i am hearing is that when you shift into forward or reverse the pinion gear thats connected to the driveshaft moves down to connect whith the forward and reverse gears. Cause if thats the case I can tell you that when put into gear the shaft stays in place. I could tell that when i had the foot off and was seeing how everything worked before trying to replace. And if not when you put gear assembaly into place is it to be touching either forward or reverse gear when shifted into gear? Because they do not at this time. Dont mean to be a pain but putting into a shop is not an option. Thanks for feedback

The pinion gear is always in contact with the forward & reverse gears. It does not move up or down. The clutch dog slides forward on the propshaft to engage the forward gear & backwards to engage the reverse gear. The shift fork is what moves the clutch dog forward & backward. Simple as that!!!

ok gears are in correctly and the fork pin is also correct. the gears do hit the pinion. I have no forward or reverse. what else can be the problem. sorry to ask too many q's but i just dont know whats wrong with it and dont have cash to send to shop. thanks

Last edited:
Back