Logo

quit running

odb1967

i believe i have an early80`s model johnson outboard. it was running fine then all of a sudden it shut off.now all it will do is spin over.im getting fire to the plugs an the carb bowl is full.. can anyone give me a sugestion...thanks

Re: quit running 25hp i think

:confused:it says 25 on the cowling but not sure what year cause the plate with the model number is gone. any idea where to find that info for the motor

Re: quit running 25hp i think

:confused:it says 25 on the cowling but not sure what year cause the plate with the model number is gone. any idea where to find that info for the motor

There should be a "core plug"- a bright silver disc about 1" in diameter- somewhere on top of the crankcase near the head. It will have your engine serial # on it. I'm assuming that the serial # plate is gone from the LEFT transom Mount?

Get that # and we can be more definitive in our diagnosis

the plate is not there on the transom mount. idont see a silver plug, there is a black one with a number on it ,would that be it?

ok i found the silver plug on the below the head, the number is P8537672 or R8537672.....i think its the P though....how do i look that up

is there anyway to get any info on the motor by useing the serial number because the plate on the transom mount is no longer there ,was gone when i bought the boat two weeks ago.all i have is the number on the small silver disk on the crankcase that resembles a freeze plug ,please help if you have any info ..thanks..all i no is couling says 25 hp and its a johnson maybe mid to late 70`s

If you have compression, fire, and fuel to the carb you probably have a plugged carb. Getting fuel to the bowl is step one. Getting it through the carb is the hard part. Carb probably needs to be compeletely dissassembled & passages cleaned.

Back