Logo

1973 Johnson 135HP Runs than quits-HELP

lakeshore

I have a 135 HP Johnson, it has 2 pic up sensors under the flywheel and 4 coils on the back of the motor.

When we turn it over, it starts, runs for 3 to 5 seconds, than quits. Sometimes it will run for 10 seconds. It is definitly getting fuel, because sometimes it floods out.

I changed the controls and tried another ignition switch, same problem

It has excellent compression and lots of spark.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You need to get it to the point where it will no longer run, and then see if you still have spark. If you do, it would sure sound like a fuel issue.

Thanks, I will try today. The problem is, every time I turn it over it starts, but only runs for 2 or 3 seconds. Sometimes I have to use the choke, other times not.
I will pull the cards today and change the fuel pump as well.
Thanks, I will let you know, appreciate your input.

OMC put the main jets on the older engines right in the bottom of the carb bowl, where they got gunked up something fierce. Probably a good start.

Hey guys, thanks for all your help, found the problem and I will share it with you.
I sold this boat to this guy, had the 135HP Johnson on it, this thing ran excellent.
He took it out and it quit on him.
He said it was idling too slow and when he put it in forward it would quit.
He brought it back, because I promised him it would run fine and if not I would fix it. (Just to let you know, I put new Cables on the boat as well)
This guy actually removed the throttle cable adjuster and put 4 washers behind the round plastic adjustment knob and slid the washer's in the slot where the adjuster normally goes. He thought this would actually speed up the idle.
I could not see the washers, as they were covered by the plate that holds them in place.
By doing this, he advanced the timing housing a good inch.
Gee, I wonder why it would not start!
The worst part, this guy did not even mention he did it.
Just when you think you have seen it all, another fool comes along.
I will chalk that one up on the top of my list for stupidity.

hey ive got a question for you, that kinda sounds like my situation? i have a 73 65 hp put a new ignition system, it crank up for about 10 seconds and died, crank up for about 5, then and now just backfires out exhaust. changed the fireing order and it seemed to do better, but still wont run? any ideas? please help!

Back