Logo

1984 150hp evinrude stalling on acceleration

tcole

You were very helpful in rejetting the carbs for high elevation, I got the jets from a local dealer and rebuilt the carbs and the engine is much more fuel efficient. However, the motor stalls when accelerating intermittantly. When the motor is cold everything seems to work correctly. But when I run up the lake for 15 minutes, then let it set for a couple of hours, it can be hard to start and it will stall when accelerating. Again, the hard starting and the stalling doesn't happen all the time. And when it stalls I can put it in nuetral and then back in gear and hit it again and it will take-off just fine. Other times it may take 2 or 3 times to nuetral before it will accelerate. Also, I smell gas when sitting with the motor off. I have looked for a leak but there is nothing obvious. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 84 150 evinrude stalling on acceleration

You may want to remove the cover on the front of the carbs to see if one or more is overflowing. It would explain the gas smell with no evidence of leak. Could also explain the performance issues,

Back