Logo

Jonhson 1996 40hp vro fuel problem? please help

leoni

Hi friends
I have a Jonhson 40hp 1996 vro engine

The truth is that I use this engine not very often
I have a stange problem to me it seams it is fuel problem, you know much better

My engine on the console in the rpm instrument, it has four leds to check the engine like no oil, low oil ,hot, etc, all the leds are off , when I switch the engine on, the buzzer, and the alarm leds make the usually routine, all on and then one by one goes off.

When I use the engine in low speed about 2000- 2500 rpm 7-10 miles I have no problem.

When I have the engine full throttle 4000-5000 rpm 22- 27 miles ( it is on a 4 meters boat ) it is running very smooth, and after 3 to 6 minutes suddenly it seams that the engine has no gas, and it is starting to stop. and after a while it stoppes. When I try to start it it won't start easilly, I have to press the bulb on the tank, press the choke , and after 2 minutes it is running again very nice
I remind you the alarm leds are always of ( no alarm )

When the problem starting to happen, when I use the trottle from idle to max sometimes I have in max trottle and the rpm of the engine doen't increase

It seams to me that it is fuel problem, and when the engine needs more fuel in 4500-5000 rpm causes the problem

The oil is in a separate tank, the spark plugs are new, nom leaks in the engine ( oil or fuel )

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance
Leonidas

Attachments

• PIC_0062.JPG
    PIC_0062.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 02220002.jpg
    02220002.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 115
Re: Jonhson 40hp vro fuel problem? please help

Tried to run with a different fuel tank/primer hose or with the filling cap open?
Might be just the O-rings in the quick connectors.

Hi
The tank is the one that came with the motor, the lines are ok no leakage, and I tried with the cap open the same problem

when it starts to happen have someone squeeze the bulb if the engine then keeps running it is indicating your fuel pump is failing

Hi
I will try all these and come back with the news
Thanks for all

Hi all again
I am coming to tell you what I have done after all your advices

I changed fuel line from the tank, changed spark plugs, changed all fuel lines in the motor, cleaned the carbs ( there was ok I found no problem) disabled VRO disconnected oil line, closed the line, disconected the cables from the vro and from the tank, and I mixed the gas with oil 50:1
Checked everything, no leaks of fuel.

I checked the motor out of the water in a barrel it was all ok.
then I put the boat in the sea.

The problem still exist but a little different
In idle the motor sounds ok, my boat is 4 meters with 2 persons in when I was putting the throttle at full position the boat was almost at once inreasing speed until 4500 rpm ( 25-28 miles speed )
Now it seams that it has not the power that used to had, it makes more time to increase speed, and the sound it is not continious the same, it seems that the rpm are not stable, ( It is not very easy to discribe and my English are not so good ), when I press the choke the motor getting better and the rpm are rising, All this time I press the tanks primer bulb and it is firm meaning the carbs are full of fuel.
The engine is not stopping I can use it, but I remember that the throttle after the middle, it was giving the motor a lot of power and now is not.
How can I check if a cylinder is not working ok, or a carb is not working ok, can I do anything? ( Perhaps half of the engine is not working ok, I don't know )
When I disconnect one spark plug what it will happen?
Is there a possibility that it is electonic ignition problem?
Do you have an idea how I check all these out of the water?

I dont know what is going on I have cleaned the carbs, I disabled the vro ( I was shure that it was vro problem but it wasn't ).

I don't know where to look and search, and the problem is that when I have the boat out of the water at my house, I cannot check this because it must have load and put the throtlle to full to check.....

Another question, inside the motor the plastic part that is mooving from the throttle on the console , mooves the flaps of the carbs ( if i say correctly ) and also some joints that goes on the upper part of the engine, ( under the spinning part )what are they doing?
Is there advance in this engine can I regulate something else?( I don't know the terms to descibe )

I hope you had understand me, sorry for my English

Thank you in advance
Leonidas

When you disconnected the VRO, did you plug the orifice on the VRO pump? If not, you need to.

Back