Logo

1986 40hp evinrude wont stay in reverse

mikjas2

It will work if I hold it in reverse but as soon as I let go of the T handle it pops right out, forward works fine.Is this just a simple adjustment or is it more involved than that? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Re: 86 40hp evinrude wont stay in reverse

Have you got a service manual for your engine? It would go through the adjustment for your shift linkage.

Easiest test is to disconnect the shift cable at the engine, and manually shift it. If it stays in reverse without the cable attached, then it is probably either an adjustment or bad cable. Roughly speaking, they are usually adjusted by removing the shift cable at the engine, shifting the engine into neutral, and shifting the shifter into neutral. You then adjust the nut or adjuster at the engine until the cable can be connected without moving the cable or engine shift lever. Sometimes you may have to compensate one direction or the other, depending on the engine.

Last edited:

I dont have a manual for it but I will try to find one online.
Also it is tiller style so no cables are involved, all linkage seems to be working fine that I can see ,is the problem in the lower unit maybe?

Back