Logo

No water out of water cooling hole 2006 25hp

budjanz

Hi my name is Bud, I'm new to the forum.I purchase a used 2006 Mecury 25 HP four stroke. I cannot get any water out of the cooling hole. I hooked up the hose & cups like I did with other motors, but no water. The guy that I bought it from said it worked for him, but his mechanic said you have to run it for 3 to 4 minutes because of the thermostat. That seems scary to run the motor for that long without water. Thanks Please Help Bud

Re: No water out of water cooling hole

You should get water after 3 or 4 seconds.After thermostat opens the stream will get harder and fuller.Dirt dobbers are bad to plug the tale tell hole,check that first.If it is open then it sounds like water pump is shot.

My 9.9 bigfoot (4 stroke) won't either with the muffs on. There is this little hole at the top and back of the foot. (the lowest section of the lower unit) If I submerge the motor in a bucket it won't "pee" until that little hole is under water. Try that, or somebody tell me if there is a plug or something that is supposed to be there. BUT DON'T RUN THAT MOTOR FOR LONGER THAN A FEW SECONDS W/O WATER DISCHARGE.

Well shove a piece of wire in the hole, spiders have a real bad habit of crawling up the Tel-Tail for the winter mounths which will block the water discharge. If you place your hand on the water jacket it should not feel hot when running and also you should see water discharging from just below the the lower cowl at the back of the outboard at the upper exhaust ports....Merc

On my 1970 9.8 Merc for 30 years it was the dirt dobbers. I used 100# test monofilament or a piece of wire to ream it out.

If you have a garden hose connection at the telltale hole just hook a hose up to it and flush it out. Be sure to run the engine for about 5 mins while you flush it so as to open the thermostat

If you have a garden hose hookup at the telltale hole just hook a hose up to it and reverse flush it for 5 mins. Be sure to run the enging so as to open the thermostat.

Back