Logo

Johnson 2 Stroke 4 HP

mteam

I have just become the owner of a very old looking Johnson engine. The model number is BJ4RCCS which I understand it to have been made in Belgium. The Serial number is B7646698. Can anyone tell what the name of this engine is so, if I need to, I can look for spare parts?

The model number identifies it
B = made in Belgium, J = Johnson, 4 = 4hp, R = rope start, CC= 1988. S is just a production suffix.

So it is a 1988 4 hp Johnson

As for its name? Dunno. Do you reckon it's a boy or a girl? :)

For parts you should find it is all the same as J4RCCS in the Parts catalog

That appears to show a pannier type fuel tank. Is that what you have or do you have a tank mounted under the cover. There were several variations amongst these 4 hp engines involving integral tanks, pannier tanks and remote tanks.
It is not unusual to find that Belgium made ones are a bit different to the American made ones figured in the parts catalog.

Two UK parts suppliers I have made particular note of are

Oakley Marine (aka Outboards Direct) in Brighton
and
Willsmarine in Kingsbridge, Devon

I have had good service from Oakley. Other users of the YBW boating forums www.ybw.com/forums have done well with Willsmarine.
Google will find them.

I am sure either will be familiar with the engine as it would have been the basic model sold in the UK ( alongside a Deluxe model with FNR gears, different engine cover etc)
Just quote the number!

BTW run it on 50:1 fuel mix, even if it still has 100:1 decals on it!

Last edited:
Back