Logo

Fuel kill switch

mercurymark

Contributing Member
I am running pre mixed fuel on my mariner 150 carb circa 1998 and am getting fed up of the oil dripping out the carbs when in storage and am concerned about old fuel sitting in the carbs so was considering fitting an inline fuel isolator to kill the fuel supply and let the engine run til dry. Would this damage the engine or cause any other problems i haven't thought of.
Thanks in advance.

I'd be wary of running it out of fuel.
No fuel, no bottom end lube!!

It may or may not have a quick connect on the front of the cowl but mor than likely not.
Of not, it is easy to fit one.

Not only will this practise NOT hurt your motor, it keeps crud from forming in the near empty carb bowls. I do this all the time on mine.

Jeff

If you have oil injection and it's intact/working, then stopping the fuel and letting her "run out of gas" is not the greatest idea.

It won't hurt anything, but the oil pump keeps pumping until the motor finally quits, so you end up "oil flooding" your carbs which leads to a very very hard start the next time out - straight oil just don't burn very well.

For anyone following along, the practice of "running her out of gas" is ONLY applicable to carb models. If you have an EFI or DFI engine it MUST be stored "wet" to prevent damage to the small seals on the rails and injectors. In those cases you are best to make up a "cocktail" of stablized gas with a bit of extra oil (like 25:1) and run that for a few minutes before you lay the motor up for any period longer than 2 weeks...

Back