Logo

1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 HP

Ricky Brady

After I use starting fluid to start cold engine, It will start soon as you hit the starter. When the engine is cold or cool it won't crank. I wonder if anyone can give me advice on starting cold or cool engine.

Ricky

Re: 96 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 HP

First piece of advice, DON'T use starting fluid, Your engine needs the oil in the oil/gas mixture to lube the engine. No oil in starting fluid.
Does your choke/primer system work properly? Is the starting RPM correct, battery condition good? Are you pumping the primer bulb until firm?

Re: 96 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 HP

After I use starting fluid to start cold engine, It will start soon as you hit the starter. When the engine is cold or cool it won't crank. I wonder if anyone can give me advice on starting cold or cool engine.

Ricky

Just as a clarification... I usually understand "crank" to mean the starter turns the engine. I usually understand "fire" to mean the engine fires and then turns by itself w/o the starter. So are you saying when it's cold it won't actually crank or that it won't fire?

It sounds like you mean it won't fire when it's cold unless you use starter fluid....

First, like daviet said, don't use starter fluid, use pre-mix gas in a squirt bottle, so the engine gets proper lubrication when you use it. Starter fluid won't lubricate the engine and might cause damage. But you shouldn't need it.

Second, here's what I used to use with my older hard starting V6 Johnson:

1. Pump bulb until its hard (I checked and pumped as needed almost every time I started it). This fills the carb. bowls with fuel.

2. Lift cold start, or advance throttle in neutral.

3. Turn key to "on" position, but do not start.

4. Push key in to activate primer (it's not a choke, it's a primer or enrichener). Hold the key in for a FULL count of 5-10 seconds. This will vary - you have to figure out what works with your engine. My old engine took a full, long 8 second count. My newer engine only takes a couple of seconds. This is what moves the fuel from the carb. bowls up into the cylinders. This mimics what you're doing with the starting fluid - getting fuel into the cylinders themselves.

The reason it takes such a long count - as it was explained to me and seemed to make sense - is that "on those big V6's, it's a long way from the carbs. to the cylinders!"

5. Then, start engine. If it fires, sometimes you have to "bump" the key/primer from time to time to keep it running until it warms up.

Back