Logo

Hot Alarm without the engine even running? 1994 150hp

Boat/engine info:
1994 Ranger w/Johnson 150 Fast Stryke. I bought brand new in 94 and has been an excellent boat/motor. (usual repairs, power pak here and there, etc.)

The problem:
When I turn the key, I get the usual beep once, all clear, alarm working signal. So far, so good.
And then not too long ago, while idling at the marina, steady beep starts out kind soft, (almost chirping real fast) then normal full volume, steady tone. Turn off engine, key on, same thing. Same thing now with no engine, cold engine, warm engine, for about a year now. (yes I temporarily disabled the beep, more on that later)

So, the troubleshooting begins: Alarm module under dash, Purple (key power-blk-gnd, and beige-sensor input) Disconnect beige, alarm quits.

With key on, engine NOT started, steady alarm tone, I begin disconnecting the temp sensors on the heads. No change. Found a black and beige wire pair with rubber connector on the port side lower area of the cowel that obviously is part of the alarm sensor, (same color as on the actual alarm under the dash). Disconnect the beige wire, alarm QUITS. Put beige back together. Alarm resumes. Disconnect the Black connector, Alarm QUITS. (now we're getting somewhere!

Those two wires follow the pathway for the hoses, wires, and throttle/shifter cable exit of the cowel via a strain relief clamp. Upon careful inspection, those two wire are pinched, tight in the clamping system. Big oops by the service center many years ago. I thought well this must be it. Removed pinch, reinstalled in strain relief the correct way, same problem.

From what I can tell, this two wire combo runs to the oil tank float, although, you would think if there was an oil tank issue, it would beep on-off, like a low oil alarm. I haven't removed the oil tank from equazation yet as there are no connectors. I would have to cut and splice.

So I thought I would see if anyone has experienced this problem yet or has any further suggestions.

Sorry for rambling on so,

Jim

Re: Hot Alarm without the engine even running?

Go back and disconnect the black/brown wires again going to the oil tank and see what happens. If the horn shuts up you'll know the prob is in the oil tank sender. Which by the way OMC had probs with back in those days with giving off false alarms. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree. It sounds like it is coming from there, however, if there was a problem with the oil tank, would it not make the on/off/on/off beep, instead of the steady tone?

Jim

Oil tanks that OMC built in 1995 and prior had electronics in the tank sending unit . This produced the on/off beep every 20 or 40 seconds depending on the year. These tanks gave nothing but probs. In 1996 Omc came out with System Check. The oil tanks for those had a simple on/off float switch in them and no more electroncis. If you upgrade to a newer sender, when the oil gets low you will just get a constant horn which may be good when boating if the beer is turned up to loud.

That's the answer I was looking for.
I never let the tank get below half anyway. Doesn't sound like I need an alarm for that one.
Thanks!
Jim

Back