Logo

1989 40 hp Mariner(Japanese)

rawd

is there any way to rig an automatic tilt lock on this manual tilt motor--so when you shift to reverse it locks?--any ideas would be appreciated cause this manual lock is a pain--or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
don't think so--this is a manual tilt engine--on the merc I had before this when you shifted to reverse it automatically locked the engine down --in forward it was disengaged so if you hit something it had some give--I guess this is just how it is with this model--I'm going to try to rig an auto lock--any ideas how I could do this?

Think so :)

Check out numbers 20, 21, 22, 37 etc - they are all part of the tilt lock system.

When you are in "forward" number 22 is supposed to (push down) on 37 disengaging it from 31/32 which will let the motor "kick up" if you hit something.

In neutral and reverse 37 should be "locked in" by 31/32 keeping the motor fixed.

And yes, that's from the parts list for the manual tilt model...

(would have helped if I attached the pic to my first post of this)...

Attachments

• yami mariner tilt lock.jpg
    yami mariner tilt lock.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
thanks folks--after looking at it again i realized you are correct--never said I was too bright--it must be way out--hit a shoal about half throttle and it was like throwing out the anchor--luckily it was gravel and it just bent the skeg a fraction

Last edited:
I have one more question--where is a good used parts place--i'd like to switch this motor to a tiller instead of remote--i'd trade straight up for the quick silver unit that controls it now if anyone is interested

Back