Logo

1987 40hp Evinrude tilt problem

Soggydog

I have a 1987 Evinrude E40ELCUD with a tilt issue.
Yesterday A.M. I pull the boat out of garage and tilt the motor so that I could put transom saver on. I get to the lake and motor will not tilt. I can trim the motor but no tilt. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? Is it a bad tilt switch? Bad T/T motor? I have had great help on this forum, so I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance, Dave.

Re: Evinrude tilt problem

When you push the button to tilt the motor up, do you hear the T&T motor running? If not, do you hear the relay click? Does the T&T work in the down direction?

Martino, when I try to tilt the motor makes no sound. I am not sure that I have ever heard a relay coil in the past. Where is the relay usually located?

Not familiar with this model. Went on-line to check parts, didn't seem to have relays listed for a 40HP. Do you see anything like a relay box when you follow the T&T motor leads? Also, does the motor have 3 wires or 2? Easiest test is to disconnect the T&T motor at the connector, have someone press the switch, or put a rubber band on it, and check for 12volts at the plug. If you have it, and the connector isn't corroded, you probably have a bad motor. If you have a 3 lead motor, you have to make sure you are checking the correct two leads.

Back