Logo

25hp Johnson, new wp, alarm still on??

Bassky

I have a friend with a 25hp Johnson, just replaced water pump, and the alarm is still on. Any suggestions why or what is going on???
Bassky

You'll need to clarify the problem...What year is the motor? Does the overheat alarm sound as soon as the motor starts? Is there evidence of water circulation (tell tale, etc.)? Are you starting the motor in the water or on muffs? Did you make sure the water tube seated properly when you installed the lower unit?

"I changed the impeller and the water is moving through the motor. The alarm sounds when the motor is close to idling or in neutral. The temp light dosen't come on when the alarm is sounding. The low oil light is always on because I mix the gas and there is no oil reservior." 1999 2 cyl J25eleen
Bassky

Is the alarm the overheat alarm (a constant steady beep)? Have you disconnected the low oil warning wiring? Not sure if that would have anything to do with it but at least the light should go off.

The test alarm rings when I first turn the key. Once the motor is running the alarm will ring in spurts while idling and at low rpms. I noticed the temp light is not luminated when this is happening. Others have said the engine monitoring system can go bad. I was wondering if I remove all that and just add a temp guage will it mess with the rpm limiter which kicks in when oil is low or temp is high.
Bassky

Back