Logo

auto starter solenoid for boat??

michellebedore

Hello,
We've been told by a few different people that it's fine to use a regular automotive starter solenoid on our outboard instead of a marine one. Is there really a measurable difference? I assume there is, if there are some designated for marine use. Thanks!

PS. We have a 1971 100 hp Johnson hydro-electric outboard.

It will work. It just won't hold up as long in a marine environment. The correct solenoid is only a few dollars more so why not use the right one?

In addition to above, on most auto solenoids the start winding is grounded through the mounting bracket. On outboards there is a separate lead for the ground. As I remember, our old Fords used that style. Don't know if the average parts store would know which one to give you.

Thanks everyone!
URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/michellebedore/Lake%20San%20Antonio%202010%20with%20Golden%20State%20Classics/?action=view&current=IMG_1962.jpg]
th_IMG_1962.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
The right part is under $20, search 5808 solenoid. If you can't find one, send me a PM.
You won't save anything using automotive part.

Sheesh, if I wasn't in such a hurry to get it, I woulda PM'd ya; "The Anchor", where we get all our old boat parts charged over $45 for it! :mad:

Thanks though. I'd like to find a more reasonable source for vinbtage boat parts and such for future reference.

Sheesh, if I wasn't in such a hurry to get it, I woulda PM'd ya; "The Anchor", where we get all our old boat parts charged over $45 for it! :mad:

Thanks though. I'd like to find a more reasonable source for vinbtage boat parts and such for future reference.

They gotta pay for that high dollar California waterfront somehow.

Oh, forgot to say, the manager of the marine shop where I went to to pick up my starter solenoid explained that the inside of a marine starter solenoid also contains a different type of oil, which is why they are so heavy comparitively. Also, they will NOT catch on fire, no matter what---so there's less risk of a fire on your boat/in your engine. He showed me a used one that had slightly melted, but not caught fire. Interesting to know, eh?

Back