Logo

1989 9.9hp 4 stroke won't start cold

snard

I have this 1989 Yamaha, 9.9 4 stroke. Rebuilt carb and coil asi t wasn't sparking. Starts when someone holds down the plunger on carb, and someone pulls cord. Once it starts, it runs fine and starts on first pull.

Are the bi metalic valves the culprits?? as the plunger on top of carb does not go down while pulling cord.

Re: 1989 9.9 4 stroke won't start cold

I have this 1989 Yamaha, 9.9 4 stroke. Rebuilt carb and coil asi t wasn't sparking. Starts when someone holds down the plunger on carb, and someone pulls cord. Once it starts, it runs fine and starts on first pull.

Are the bi metalic valves the culprits?? as the plunger on top of carb does not go down while pulling cord.[/QUOTE]

Re: 1989 9.9 4 stroke won't start cold

Don't know of any good sources, but I had the same problem. Mine has an auto choke (which I wish it didn't), but I think my problem was with the plunger in the gas connection. It was listing off to one side, and after I centered it so it pushed the ball bearing in further, it was able to provide more gas, and start easier.

It's still a bit tough to start right off. I have to squeeze that damned bulb quite a bit, but like you, once it gets going, it starts on one pull any time during the rest of the day.

Sorry, I probably wasn't much help.

Good luck

Back