Logo

1975 Johnson 115 HP trim/tilt motor

timwc1953

I have a 1975 Johnson outboard 115 HP that I am looking for a tilt/trim motor or some type of adapter that can be used to retrofit one of the newer motors to my pump. Any suggestions?

I have the same engine and had TNT problems with the motor cutting out on the internal motor temp relay. It would reset and then run for about 2-8 seconds.

There are two types, mine is a Prestolite. I could get a new motor, not cheap, but was afraid that after the cash out lay that something else would go out, like the pump. Used this as an excuse to get a CMC PT135 and have been happy with it.

This site may have a Sierra replacement. Check the links to OMC parts.
Also, Stone and Son in Houston will rebuild and replace parts. He has a good reputation. Try Googling him.

Good Luck.

Thanks Mike! I went by an electric motor shop here in Raleigh, NC today and they said they could either repair my old motor or they have a shop that specializes in this if need be. I can still run the boat, just have to raise and lower the motor by hand and can't trim to different heights while under way. The 115 runs like a dream(knock on wood) so I am anxious to get the tilt/trim repaired. The repair is going to run around 200 bucks, but I am about out of options here. Again thanks for the answer.
Tim C.

Tim,

I ditto your comment about the engine. Got mine from a relative in '88 and doubt if it was broken in. Still does 40 and purrs. Never had done anything on the power head or electrical except a starter solenoid. Have had 3 water pmps and resealed the power shaft twice and just this year had the prop shaft seals and bearing carrier O-rings replaced.

In the early '90's there was an OMC bulletin to retard the spark since it was designed to run leaded. It is still retarted.

Was this done to yours? and what octane do you run? The dealer way back when said to use premium and always have. However, other say it is ok to run regular. I just haven't had the nerve.
Mike

:)
Mike, I run regular gas in mine and have not had any problems, but have heard from a couple of sources that with the ethanol they add to some gasoline it is a good idea to add Sta-bil to your gas. It is the new blue type Sta-bil for marine engines. This is to help prevent moitsure build up in the fuel system which could damage the fuel pump. I had a friend that had to repalce his fuel pump on an inboard engine and the mechanic told him about the Sta-bil.. not sure if it's as critical for an outboard like ours or not, but probably is a good idea anyway. I just haven't done it yet.
I have the 115 Johnson on a 1975 Grady White 16' runabout which I bought from the original owner in 1995. I just restored it over the winter replacing carpet, upholstry and seats. Also had to replace the gas tank (was leaking) which was metal and located under the bow. It still runs great (it tops out at 43-44 MPH) and pulls skiers just fine. Good luck with yours, have fun but as always be careful.

Tim, Mine is the original set up, boat/mtr. It is an 18' Arrow Glass trihull.

Only 10% ethanol gas is available here. I have not used Stabil, but use the OMC 4+2 and Sea Foam. Still have the original fuel pump and that worries me, but those dang things are expensive and don't have rebuild kits.

Ditto be save and get insurance.

Back