Logo

Kill Switch-Wiring

chasin_tales

My nephew bought an older pontoon boat with a 28 hp Evinrude. He can't get it to start. He thought the kill switch might be a problem so he cut it out of the circuit.

He gets spark at the engine when he turns the key but it will not fire. My question is whether the kill switch is in any way causing this?

Not sure how or where it is in relation to the circuit.

Thanks!

as long as he cut it out and didnt wire the 2 wires to gether he is ok all it does is ground the points when you push it that whatkills the engine, try putting a little carb cleaner in the spark plug holes then put plugs back in and crank it if it fires then its a fuel problen

Model number ??

The purpose of the kill switch is to kill the ignition (spark). If you have spark, the kill switch is out of the circuit.

If a magneto model, spark should jump a 3/8" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! If a solid state ignition (powerpack), the gap would be 7/16".

If, with the spark plugs removed, you have spark such as stated above, and the engine has proper compression (100+ psi), the problem is usually a clogged carburetor. If so, clean and rebuild it.

Get the model number to us.

Super, thanks for the advice. I will have him check the carburetor. They have tried adding gas directly to it and it wouldn't fire.

They have put new plugs in so I will have them check the gap as well.

The spark gap I mentioned is for a spark tester. The gap for the spark plugs is .030 . What is the model number of that engine?

Back