Logo

91/200 hp/evinrude/quickstart ques.

bassmaster59

Regular Contributor
Took a break from trying to get my motor working the way it used to. Am going to have another go at it. I found some adjustments in linc & sync, & timing pointer that were set wrong ( according to omc fac. man.) by the guys at the shop I took it to. I now need to set my timing the dselbee way & not sure I know how to discon. the quickstart. I just would like for someone to verify the proper procedure to disconnect quickstart on my motor. Unplug the yel./red wire from the selo. to the pp, unplug the black wire from the pp to the engine harness, & ground the black wire from the pp to the eng. block. Is this all & is it correct? thanks, jeff:confused:

That's the Joe Reeves method...I had nothing to do with developing the method for setting timing with engine in the shop.

My method is to hang off the back of the boat at 5000 rpm and 50 knots...but I generally get severely ridiculed for doing this.

I figure if I fall off, by the time I hit the water, the boat will be 20 - 30 feet away.

Joe is the expert on the timing method you are wanting to use. It is a great method too, by the way.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question...how to disable QuickStart.

Disconnect the white/black wire that runs from the port temp sensor to the pack. There is a bullet connector for that purpose. Ground the PACK side of that white/black wire. This fools the pack into thinking that the engine temp is over 95 degrees.

Locate the yellow/red wire at the starter solenoid. It will be connected at one of the two small terminals. One side of that wire runs back down the boat harness to the key switch. The other yellow/red wire will run up the engine harness to the pack.
You want to disconnect the wire that goes to the pack, but leave the wire that comes from the key switch connected.
You can also lift the pack up, and pull apart the bullet connector for the yellow/red wire. This does the same thing as disconnecting it at the starter solenoid.

QuickStart disabled.

Hey hey Daselbee, how u been??? I always get a kick when people tells others how dangerous your timing method is; how ever I would say is the most accurate and most reliable way to do it, no disrespect to Joe but timing light at @5000 RPMs really takes the guess work out of the timing equation...hahaha

thanks daselbee, I am just getting around to ck my threads. have been having computer probs. went & bought a new one. I did it your way a couple of times, but can't get anyone who wants to participate anymore! wonder why?

Back