Logo

1996 Mariner 135hp (oil leak)

Flats Man

Hi all,
I have a 96 Mariner 135 that when the engine is tilted up for transporting or just any time the motor is up,I get oil dripping down into transom area on my flats boat. Its not a small amount and appears to be fresh oil. It has always done this,just tired of cleaning it and getting some into our precious Gulf waters.(As if rotten BP hasnt done enuff). I took the cowling off and tilted engine up and watched for entire day,and nothing. So not sure if it happens only when running the motor on water or what. When cowling was off I noticed a oil nipple coming off a tee from carbs and also runs too oil injection tank. It looks like this is supposed to have something on it. Im posting a pic of the bare nipple...lol Can someone please tell me if this could be my problem:confused:....I attached a yellow cable tie to it in the pic...so its easier to spot in picture. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• fish tank 149.jpg
    fish tank 149.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 130
Re: 1996 Mariner 135 (oil leak)

It is just the oil/gas fuel from the carbs dripping out when the motor is tilted
The nipple looks like it's a drain of some kind missing a hose to take excess oil/gas fuel down the pan,maybe???

Check the oil line between the pump and the fuel connector. Should be on the starboard side of the engine close to the bottom. Mine got brittle over the years and slowly dripped oil, but only when the engine was running and the line was pressurized.

I am not sure if your outboard is similar to my 1995 Mecury 115HP 2-stroke outboard. Anyway, I also had this problem once before. In my case, the oil was pouring out from the top of the oil reservior. Seem like the spring loaded cap of the oil reservior was not closed tightly. When the outboard was tilted up to a certain point, the oil level reached the cap and started pouring out and the open cell foam in the side of the cowling was soaked with oil. I still don't know why that problem happened. May be the cap was not aligned correctly. May be the foam pad inside the cap was not aligned correctly. I dont know. I cannot re-create this problem any more.

Hope you find out what went wrong.

Back