Logo

Water Recovery 1983 15h hp. Evinrude

oldjunkdiver

I'm a diver and recently recovered a 1983 15 hp. Evinrude electric start outboard from Georgian Bay, in about 40' of water. It appears to have been in the water about a year but everything turns over just fine now that I have cleared the silt out of the interior and oiled everything up.

I'm curious as to what it will take to get this outboard running as it does appear to be restorable? Obviously the starter needs rebuilding and probably other electronic parts are shot, but I'm hopefull the engine itself is still serviceable. I've flushed it with oil to prevent corrosion but other than that I really don't know what else to do....HELP.:confused:

Oldjunkdiver

Re: Water Recovery 15h hp. Evinrude

Well, the correct thing to do would be to completely dissassemble it, clean and inspect everything, and put it back together replacing anything which was damaged. Most anyone else would probably do what you did, keep their fingers crossed, and try and start the dang thing and see what happens.

I'm definately not an expert but after being dunked for approximately 1 year in saltwater, I can't imagine that unless you were bored and had some spare cash, it would be worth salvageing.

However......some of the housings/good parts might fetch you a little green.

Dry out the ignition components -pull the rope -do you have spark?
If yes then:

Clean the carb, fresh fuel and off you go!

I agree with cut-throat. That's why I would be tempted to start it without investing a whole lot in it. OMC engines are incredible products, but they do have a few limitations.

Thanks for the feedback all. I ended up having to take pretty much everything apart and sadly the bearings were rusted up, so I'm looking at a rebuild likely during the winter. Surprisingly the electronics work just fine, once everything was power-washed and cleaned up properly. The lower end is excellent (no water) and there is little to no wear in the cylinders.

I'm going to see if I can come up with a rebuild kit for reasonable $$ but if not I'll probably part it out. Again, thanks for all the help...Oldjunkdiver.

Back